(Makes 6 waffles)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Warm the milk in a pot until it reaches between 105-115 degrees F. This happens pretty quickly, so keep an eye on it.
- Add the yeast to the milk and allow to stand until it has a small amount of foam on top. It won’t foam a lot because there is no sugar to feed the yeast. But there will be a small, thin layer as the yeast dissolves.
- Combine everything together in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until you have no lumps left.
- Let the batter rest for about 20 minutes. (I used this time to start heating the waffle iron and slicing fruit for toppings, setting the table, etc…)
- When your batter has rested and your waffle iron is hot, pour the batter in and cook as usual. The waffles are done when they are crispy.
- Top with fruit or whatever toppings you prefer and enjoy!
Nutritional Content: (Data is for 1 waffle) Calories: 91 Total Fat: 1 gm Saturated Fats: 0 gm Trans Fats: 0 gm Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 233 mg Carbohydrates: 16 gm Dietary fiber: 3 gm Sugars: 0 gm Protein: 5 gm Estimated Glycemic Load: 8