1 lb. Italian sausage (I like mild sausage)
2 large russet baking potatoes , sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion , chopped
1/4 c. bacon bit (optional)
2 garlic cloves , minced
2 c. kale or 2 c. swiss chard , chopped
16 oz. cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1. Brown the sausage links in a pan OR cook it in a 300 degree preheated oven on a sheet pan for 25 minutes (or until cooked).
2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then dice into 1/2-inch slices.
3. Place cooked Italian sausage, chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker.
4. Cover. Cook on High for 3-4 hours until potatoes are cooked and soft.
5. Optional: Mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher for texture.
6. Turn the crock pot off and add the kale.
7. Return the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
8. Add whipping cream and serve.